The group has been operating as an informal network of vice-chancellors since 1994. It was formally incorporated in September 1999.
From 2000 to 2007 the Go8's executive director was Ms Virginia Walsh and the secretariat was located in Manuka, Canberra.
In 2007, Ms Walsh retired and Michael Gallagher became the second Go8 executive director. The secretariat moved to its current premises in Turner, Canberra, in December 2007.
The Chair of the Go8 Board rotates among member universities. The current Chair of the Go8 is Professor Fred Hilmer AO. Previous Go8 Chairs are: Professor Paul Greenfield AO (2010-2011), Professor Alan Robson AM (2007-2010), Professor Glyn Davis AC (2005-2007); Professor Ian Chubb AC (2003-2005), Professor Alan Gilbert AO (2003), Professor John Hay AC (2001-2003) and Professor Gavin Brown AO (1999-2001).
The Go8 secretariat, located in Canberra, Australia’s national capital, works to maximise the potential for collaboration in a competitive environment, adding value for individual universities and for Australia through:
* Influencing national policies for higher education and university research
* Providing high quality policy analysis and advice services to its members & their staff
* Facilitating collaboration
* Developing international strategic alliances & networks
* Sustaining quality brand recognition
* Benchmarking for performance improvement
* Offering a trusted network through which ideas & expertise are shared among the leaders of Go8 universities
* Building community support for research universities
The Go8 office in Canberra offers meeting rooms and office facilities to senior staff of Go8 member universities, members of Go8 committees, international partner organisations and student organisations conducting business in Canberra. Please contact the Go8 Office Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Group of Eight Ltd
Level 2, 101 Northbourne Ave, Turner, 2612
PO Box 6229, O'Connor, 2602
Telephone:+61 2 6239 5488
Fax:+61 2 6239 5808
ABN:98 089 687 990