The group operated as an
informal network of vice-chancellors from 1994 to 1999. It was formally
incorporated in September 1999.
From 2000 to 2007, the Go8's Executive Director was Ms Virginia Walsh and the secretariat was located in Manuka, Canberra.
In 2007, Ms Walsh retired and Michael Gallagher became the second Go8 Executive Director. The secretariat moved to its current premises in Turner, Canberra, in December 2007.
The Chair of the Go8 Board rotates among member universities. The current Chair of the Go8 is Professor Ian Young AO. Previous Go8 Chairs are: Professor Fred Hilmer AO (2012-2013), Professor Paul Greenfield AO (2010-2011), Professor Alan Robson AM (2007-2010), Professor Glyn Davis AC (2005-2007); Professor Ian Chubb AC (2003-2005), Professor Alan Gilbert AO (2003), Professor John Hay AC (2001-2003) and Professor Gavin Brown AO (1999-2001).
The Go8 secretariat, located in Canberra, Australia’s national capital, works to maximise the potential for collaboration in a competitive environment, adding value for individual universities and for Australia through:
• influencing national policies for higher education and university research
• providing high quality policy analysis and advice services to its members and their staff
• facilitating collaboration
• developing international strategic alliances and networks
• sustaining quality brand recognition
• benchmarking for performance improvement
• offering a trusted network through which ideas and expertise are shared among the leaders of Go8 universities
• building community support for research universities .
The Go8 office in Canberra provides a large meeting room with video and teleconferencing facilities for the used of Go8 committees.
Please contact the Go8 Office Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Group of Eight Ltd
Level 2, 101 Northbourne Ave, Turner ACT
PO Box 6229, O'Connor, 2602
Telephone:+61 2 6239 5488
Fax:+61 2 6239 5808
ABN:98 089 687 990