Code of Practice for Australian University Philanthropy
Go8 Directors of Advancement
Responsibilities of the university
- The university will welcome and respect the interest of individuals and organisations seeking to contribute to the university.
- The university will ensure that university staff engaged in donor liaison and the soliciting of gifts do not grant or accept favours for personal gain and avoid actual or apparent conflicts of interest.
- The university will ensure that all personnel involved in managing gifts exercise prudent judgement in their stewardship responsibilities.
- The university will ensure that only authorised representatives of the university undertake solicitation of gifts.
- The university will not seek or accept gifts where this would be inconsistent with the university's mission.
- The university will at all times respect information about donors and prospective donors and their gifts and will ensure that such information is handled confidentially, to the extent provided by law and consistent with the donor's wishes.
- The university will ensure that potential donors are encouraged to seek independent professional advice about the taxation status and any other business or legal implications of their gifts or potential gifts. University staff may work with such advisers to assist with gift arrangements.
- The university will ensure that non-cash gifts and gifts in kind are evaluated having regard to the university's capacity to use the gift effectively, the benefits they may bring and any on-going costs associated with their use and maintenance.
- The university will ensure that all gifts are treated in accordance with the donor's wishes, to the extent consistent with the letter and spirit of the law.
- The university will ensure that all gifts are dealt with in accordance with all laws and regulations applicable.
- The university will confirm the acceptance of all gifts in writing.
- The university reserves the right to decline a gift for any reason.
- The university will ensure that all donors have access to its most recent published financial statements.
- The university will ensure that donors receive prompt, truthful and complete answers to their enquiries.
- The university will ensure that all donors receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition being mindful of the donor's wishes.
Rights of the donor
- A donor can expect to be informed of the university's mission, of the way the university intends to use the gift, and of its capacity to use gifts effectively for their intended purposes.
- A donor can expect that the university and its staff will actively and positively provide relevant information on the University, and the use of, and progress with, the gift.
- A donor can expect that the behaviour of individuals representing the university will be professional in nature.
- A donor can expect to be informed whether those seeking gifts from them are volunteers, university staff, or engaged agents.
- A donor can expect that their details will be treated confidentially and will not be shared with any organisation outside the university without their explicit permission.
- A donor can expect to be informed of the identity of the university's key personnel involved in managing the gift.