Go8 - C9 Research and Academic Executive Leadership Shadowing Program
2014-2015 (Round Two)
The Group of Eight (Go8) welcomed an announcement in 2011 by the then Education Minister Chris Evans of $100,000 for a new executive leadership shadowing program between the Go8 and the Consortium of China Nine Research Universities (C9)*. The funding by the Australian Department acknowledged and supports a highly successful relationship between the Go8 and C9 and affirms the vitality of Australia’s research and academic relationship with China. It is an extension of a Go8-C9 MoU signed by the Vice-Chancellors and Presidents in October 2010.
This program facilitates career development of university research and academic leaders, and deepens research, academic and professional engagement between some of the main research universities in Australia and China, as well as fostering mutually-advantageous activities including staff/student exchanges and joint research projects. It is envisaged that program participants will continue to promote collaboration with Australian/Chinese partners when they return to their home institutions.
The first round of the Go8 - C9 Executive Leadership Shadowing Program commenced in January 2012 and concluded in July 2013. The two-way shadowing program enabled six senior research and research training executives from Go8 universities (Deputy Vice-Chancellors Research and Pro Vice-Chancellors Research/Research Training) to spend two weeks at a C9 institution, and vice versa. The visitors observed the host university’s operations and decision-making processes, and gained insights into research, academic management and leadership issues in the partner nation. Each shadowing pair (consisting of two participants who spent two weeks at each other’s institution) received program funding support of up to AUD $6,000. Click here to view the Go8-C9 shadowing partners list 2012-2013
For the second round of the program (January 2014-June 2015), the Go8 has revised its eligibility criteria to make the scheme also available to Go8/C9 Deans. It offers eight places to Go8/C9 university executives and deans to spend two weeks shadowing their counterparts at a C9 institution, and vice versa. Each two-way shadowing pair (consisting of two participants who spend two weeks at each other’s institution) received program funding support of up to AUD $6,000.
Eligibility of Australian participants
As an Australian participant, you must:
- be employed in a Group of Eight university and hold a full-time position as: Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Pro Vice- Chancellor, or Dean of Arts / Business / Engineering / Graduate Studies / Law / Medicine/ Science, or their equivalent;
- have shown leadership potential in international research and academic collaboration;
- have initial contacts with China which are likely to have impact if developed further
Responsibilities of participants and shadowing activities
As an Australian participant, you will need to:
- travel to your partner university in China for a total period of two weeks in the specified travel timeframe (January 2014 – June 2015);
- host your shadowing partner for two weeks in the specified travel timeframe (January 2014 – June 2015);
- work with your shadowing partner to arrange the travel dates and itineraries, proposed program activities , and expectations before you and your partner conduct the two-way visits;
- liaison officer(s) should be nominated by you and your partner to respond to requests and provide program coordination and travel booking assistance;
- complete and sign the program report form, and provide it to the Go8 Office within two weeks of the completion of your two-way shadowing experience. The report will include details of activities undertaken and benefits derived. Participants may also need to respond to follow-up emails from the Go8 office.
Important dates for Round Two
Applications for the second round open on 27 August 2013 with a deadline of 11 November 2013.
Applicants will be notified of the outcomes of the selection by 30 November 2013 to enable successful applicants to organise their travel itineraries and visit programs, and undertake their two-way shadowing experiences between January 2014 and June 2015. In other words, the two-way travel for each pair should be completed by 30 June 2015.
Australian Participants are required to submit a joint program report form within two weeks of their completion of the two-way shadowing trips.
How to apply
If you are eligible to apply, please:
- complete complete all the questions on the application form;
- attach your CV; and
- submit an electronic copy to by 11 November 2013.
For further enquiries:
Go8 Secretariat: Jane Liang, Director, China Engagement and Web Management, firstname.lastname@example.org and 02 6239 5488*Note: C9 Institutions include: Peking University, Tsinghua University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Harbin Institute of Technology, Fudan University, Nanjing University, Zhejiang University, University of Science and Technology of China and Xi'an Jiaotong University.
The views expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the Australian Government Department of Education and Training.
AcknowledgementThe expansion of the project was made possible through sponsorship by the Australian Government through the Department of Education and Training.